Film & Media conducts one review each year for admission to the following fall semester only, and it observes a strict December 1, 2022 (9:00 p.m. PST) deadline for submission of the application and supporting documentation. The online graduate application will be available by mid-September. We advise applicants not to wait until the final days to submit an application. The December 1st deadline is strictly enforced, and it applies to new applicants, re-applicants, University change-of-majors and Education Abroad Program applicants. All material is submitted on-line. There is no need to mail any hard copies of documents to the department or Graduate Division.
Submit your graduate application online. See the Graduate Division website at http://www.grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/
In summary, the application requirements are:
- Submission of the online application including a Statement of Purpose and Personal Statement. Under “Faculty Contact,” list the faculty you have contacted concerning your application for admission to Berkeley. The department does not require or expect you to contact faculty prior to admission, however, under “Faculty Interest,” you are required to list the faculty whose research is of particular interest to you.
- A $120 application fee for U.S. citizens and permanent residents; $140 fee for all others.
- Three letters of recommendation submitted electronically.
- At least one writing sample of a maximum of 30 pages. (this may be excerpted from a longer paper, but we suggest it not exceed 30 pages)
- A statement about foreign language proficiency, if any (be specific: how long, at what level, what kind of familiarity, i.e., conversational or reading).
The deadline for receipt of all supporting documents is December 1, 2022. Letters of recommendation from faculty members are due on the same date. Late material may not be read by admissions committee members.
To submit a complete and timely application:
- Request transcripts and letters of recommendation 6 weeks in advance. You will need to have your own copies of transcripts in order to calculate your GPA.
Once complete, your file is ready for review by admissions committee members. The various materials required for application are evaluated together to produce an overall portrait of the applicant.
Admissions decisions are made by a departmental committee; membership changes annually. The admissions committee meets early in the spring semester after having read the files from mid-December through winter break. Decisions for fellowship nominations are made in January and February; other decisions may not occur until March. Applicants to whom the program is not offering admission will be notified by email.
The Request for a Waiver of the Graduate Admissions Application Fee is included in the Graduate Application. Completed waivers should be mailed to: Graduate Admissions, 318 Sproul Hall #5900, UC Berkeley, 94720-5900; phone 510/642-7405. The deadline for the receipt of completed forms and supporting documents is to be determined. Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents and able to demonstrate financial need. In addition to the form, Admissions requires a statement of need from a financial aid officer at the college or university the applicant is currently attending, a copy of the student’s most recent Student Aid Record (SAR), or a copy of the applicant’s or the applicant’s guardian’s most recent federal income tax return form 1040.
The University of California, in compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, handicap, or age in any of its policies, procedures, or practices; nor does the University discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.
Berkeley Graduate Division website (http://www.grad.berkeley.edu/) provides essential information on admissions, fellowships, international degree equivalencies, academic requirements and much more. This is where you access the online Graduate Admission and Fellowship application.
Letters and Science Outreach: http://ls.berkeley.edu/?q=about-college/l-s-divisions/arts-humanities/diversity
Berkeley General Catalog: http://bulletin.berkeley.edu/
Housing: http://www.housing.berkeley.edu/, https://calrentals.housing.berkeley.edu/