Programs / Undergraduate
San Francisco Cinematheque
Start Date: Ongoing
Faculty: Jeffrey Skoller,
GET INVOLVED! San Francisco Cinematheque’s internship program has always been, and continues to be vital to our success and vibrancy within the Bay Area’s cultural landscape.
Our internships allow participants to develop professional-level responsibilities, receive training and guidance from our knowledgeable staff, and strengthen the capacity of a high-impact, low-resource non-profit arts organization.
Interns should be interested in working in a non-profit arts environment, and possess strong communication and computer skills. An interest in avant-garde and experimental media is preferred, but not required.
We aspire to:
- provide opportunities for arts administrative training within a small non-profit media arts organization
- provide a comprehensive understanding of Cinematheque’s administrative and curatorial initiatives
- encourage a passion for our mission via engagement with the wealth of Cinematheque’s cultural resources, including our screenings, annual film festival, paper archive and publications, as well as the vibrant community of artists, enthusiasts and organizations who support us.
All internships are unpaid and require a minimum of four–six hours per week and approximately a 6–12 month commitment (unless otherwise indicated). We are able to give course credit for internships through many local educational institutions.
Start Date: ASAP
Minimum Commitment: through December 15, 2017 (through the May 2018 presentation of the CROSSROADS film festival is preferred)
Desired Availability: 6–8 hours/week on a schedule to be determined. With the right candidate, components of this internship may be performed remotely.
Cinematheque’s Curatorial/Film Festival internship is ideal for those interested in learning about contemporary international avant-garde cinema, about film festival curatorial and administrative processes and about non-profit arts administration in general. This position will work closely with Cinematheque’s Artistic Director and Technical Directors in curating and promoting seasonal screenings and events and on all aspects of planning and executing CROSSROADS 2018. To apply for an internship, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the name of the internship in the subject line.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Management of film submission databases
- Correspondence with filmmakers and artists
- Management of print traffic and logistics concerning exhibition media
- Text compilation, copy editing and design proofing of program guide
- Solicitation and management of volunteers during festival
- Organization and management of filmmakers’ party in conjunction with Cinematheque staff and Board
- Post-festival shipping of films and festival material to filmmakers
- Additional assistance to Festival and Artistic Director as needed
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- A sense of professionalism with regard to representing the organization
- A strong interest in contemporary and historic experimental/underground/
avant-garde and otherwise non-mainstream cinema
- An enthusiasm for developing relationships with artists, festival sponsors, audiences and other segments of our community
- Strong attention to detail and organization
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, FileMaker Pro, WordPress and Google Apps
- Ability to take direction but also work independently where required
- Previous administrative or management experience a plus
- Access to a personal laptop computer a plus
- Driver’s License and car a plus
To apply for an internship, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.