Programs / Undergraduate
San Francisco Cinemathetque
Start Date: Ongoing
Faculty: Jeffrey Skoller,
GET INVOLVED! San Francisco Cinematheque’s internship program has always been, and continues to be vital to our success and vibrancy within the Bay Area’s cultural landscape.
Our internships allow participants to develop professional-level responsibilities, receive training and guidance from our knowledgeable staff, and strengthen the capacity of a high-impact, low-resource non-profit arts organization.
Interns should be interested in working in a non-profit arts environment, and possess strong communication and computer skills. An interest in avant-garde and experimental media is preferred, but not required.
We aspire to:
- provide opportunities for arts administrative training within a small non-profit media arts organization
- provide a comprehensive understanding of Cinematheque’s administrative and curatorial initiatives
- encourage a passion for our mission via engagement with the wealth of Cinematheque’s cultural resources, including our screenings, annual film festival, paper archive and publications, as well as the vibrant community of artists, enthusiasts and organizations who support us.
All internships are unpaid and require a minimum of four–six hours per week and approximately a 6–12 month commitment (unless otherwise indicated). We are able to give course credit for internships through many local educational institutions.
To apply for an internship, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the name of the internship in the subject line.
Start Date: ASAP
Minimum Commitment: through December 15, 2017 (negotiable). Through the May 2018 presentation of the CROSSROADS film festival is preferred.
Desired Availability: 5–7 hours/week on a schedule to be determined. With the right candidate, components of this internship may be performed remotely.
The communications internship is ideal for those with a passion for community engagement, outreach, social media and audience development. This position will work closely with Cinematheque’s Artistic Director on all aspects of the organization’s public relations across print and digital platforms which support our year-round programming and annual CROSSROADS film festival. (May 2018). To apply for an internship, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include the name of the internship in the subject line.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Know and understand Cinematheque’s mission and curatorial vision
- Develop, schedule and create publicity and marketing collateral (including social media, online and print announcements, press releases, invitations, flyers and mailings
- Draft and post e-newsletter announcements, calendar listings and event postings to website, social media and all relevant sites
- Moderate and track social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Vimeo, Instagram, Hootsuite, Tweetdeck and more)
- Prepare and format web-ready media, such as audio, video, and images
- Coordinate, assist and support documentation of live programs for inclusion on a variety of digital platforms
- Maintain mailing lists; compile, organize and distribute outreach materials for events
- Prepare press kits and materials, working with the staff to compile and organize media for distribution
- Assist with publicity mailings; distribute publicity materials as needed around the city
- Compile records of all press coverage; develop, update and maintain a press database
- Research and develop outreach opportunities
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- An enthusiasm for developing relationships with the organizations, patrons, members and artists who create and support our community
- A sense of professionalism with regard to representing the organization
- Strong attention to detail and organization
- Proficiency in social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Vimeo and Instagram); Adobe Creative Suite a plus. A personal Facebook account is required for this internship.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, FileMaker Pro and Google Apps
- Ability to take direction but also work independently where required
- Previous communications and graphic design experience a plus
- Photography and video editing skills a plus
To apply for an internship, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org